Friday 1 April 2011

Exclusive interview with Kim Fai

Richard 'Kim Fai' Cheung was born in Tipton, West Midlands (UK) on 27th November 1983. An electro/house deejay/producer, Kim has made a big name for himself in the recent years working along side fellow peers AN21 & Max Vangeli, as well as supporting Joel Zimmerman aka Deadmau5, on his 2010 winter tour.
Kim has played at big events such as Creamfields, Loveparade & Tomorrowland, and this year is set to play the Toolroom Knights stage at Global Gathering.
With big support from deejay legend Pete Tong on BBC Radio 1, and accolades from respected artists such as Mark Knight & Steve Angello, Kim Fai is definitely a name to watch out for!

Thank you Kim for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer these questions for us :-
  • Growing up in Britain with all the great talents that our country has produced IE The Beatles, Queen, The Stones, Bowie, U2 etc, do you think any of these musical geniuses have had an influence on your style as a producer?
KF: I don't think they've necessarily influenced my productions. But The Beatles definitely gave me inspiration to get into music more. I taught myself to play guitar when I was about 13 [Not many people know that!] Mainly from Beatles / Oasis Chord books.
  • What is your favourite genre of music besides EDM?
KF: I like a wide range of genres really. Rock, some Motown, a good slab of 80's Synth pop. Anything goes really.
  • What's the best thing about coming home after a long trip away? Do you miss the simple things in life like Hovis bread, PG Tips, fish n chips etc?
KF: My own bed and a cuppa! Sunday Roast too. Even if it's not a Sunday. 
  • Your next few gigs are in the UK & then you travel to Damascus in Syria! How does the UK audience compare to the worldwide one? And where do you get the best reception?
KF: The UK is still at the top of the pile for me. But USA & Canada are snapping at our heels! They're embracing EDM with open arms and don't really go too deep in "genres" like Europe. If they like it, they like it. Whether is Electro, Techno, whatever.

KF: To be honest, it can sometimes be more intimidating playing in small intimate venues than big venues! I've been lucky enough to support some huge artists at ridiculous venues so it doesn't really phase me now. The bigger the better really!
  • If you could work along side your favourite artist who would it be? Do you have any collaborations planned for the near future? 
KF: I don't usually do collabs but this year I've done a couple and I've really enjoyed it, so I'll definitely be doing a few more. As for working with another artist, away from EDM would be Stevie Wonder. The guy is GENIUS!

  • As a final thought, could you give a little nugget of your knowledge to advise someone who wanted to start a career in DJing/producing?
KF: Commitment! If you're serious about trying to make a living from it. You've got to be 100% committed. Popping round your mates having a few cans and playing on Logic for an hour a week aint gonna cut it.


Editors note : Well I think we may of got some real exclusives there so thank you very much Kim for indulging us in your truly gifted life. I hope you fulfill your dream to work with Stevie Wonder......now there's a collab worth talking about! Good luck with everything you do, we can't wait to hear more from you.



Now I am a massive Prodigy fan so here is Kim's remix of their kick ass track 'Breathe':-



☆☆ レo√乇♥ Peace☮ & Harmony♬ ☆☆

    No comments:

    Post a Comment