Wednesday 7 March 2012

Exclusive Interview with Deniz Koyu

Deniz Koyu is the new kid on the block but has already made his stamp on the EDM music scene, and earned high respect from his peers.
Deniz started his passion for music at the tender age of 5, learning to play the piano. From there he developed a taste for making music & used his pocket money to pay for drum machines & second hand synths.
Heavily supported by Fedde Le Grand, Deniz released the now infamous 'Tung' on Fedde's record label Flamingo Recordings in 2011. It's not often that a track makes me sit up & notice someone....but 'Tung' was one of my favourite productions of 2011 and I am very excited to see what else Deniz has instore for us this year!


  • Deniz thank you very much for taking time to answer these questions. I have to start with 'Tung'...as soon as I heard this track I knew big things were going to happen, its such an epic tune! Did you ever think this track would get such an amazing response?
DK: Honestly I produced Tung! in about 3 – 4 days very quickly and when it was finished I really didn’t know what to expect. I did have a feeling this is something catchy and might work well for a good amount of DJs in their sets, but I didn’t expect that huge response. Until I sent it to Fedde and his reaction was “This is amazing. Full support! I give you a call later.”. Then I knew this was a bigger track than I thought.

  • 'Tung' was one of my favorite tracks of 2011, it really grabbed hold of me & wouldn't let me go! What was yours and why did it excite you?
DK: That’s too hard for me to pin down to one single track, but in2011 I did love the melody of “Calling”, the energy in Arty’s “Around The World” and the unique vibe of Tommy Trash’s “The End”.

  • Who or what do you take your inspiration to make music from?
DK: These days the biggest inspiration for me simply comes from absorbing the energy of a crowd in a club while DJing. Observing the crowd, interacting with them and watching which tracks and what elements make them go wild and crazy is the best way to get new ideas.

  • If you could work with one of your heroes ( dead or alive ) who would they be & why?
DK: I’m already very fortunate to have the opportunity to work together with Fedde Le Grand on different projects right now. He’s such a good producer and a super nice guy so it’s always fun to work with him.
For the future if I could just pick one more it would be Axwell, as I’m a big fan of his productions as well.

  • There is a rumour going round that you could be collaborating with Fedde Le Grand this year...how possible is this & how much has Feddes support meant to you over the last 12 months?
DK: Yes as I mentioned before we are working on a couple of projects right now. The first track coming out is “Turn It” which we made together with Johan Wedel. It will be out very soon this month, other stuff will come later this year.
Basically Fedde’s support was the best that happened to me in my music career, cos it was a confirmation for me that I have a talent and I’m going the right way in my life. From that point on I got more and more motivated to make even better tracks and grow further. It’s very hard as a music producer in the beginning to know if you really have the potential to make a living of it and be successful, and when someone as big as Fedde tells you that you do have it, all your doubts are gone and that is an amazing feeling.

  • Describe in 3 words how music makes you feel....
DK: Euphoric, spirited, carefree.

  • And lastly if you could give one piece of advice to help someone who has just started out in the business what would it be?
DK: Be very careful with contracts you sign in the beginning. When you make your first steps into music business you will meet many really wrong people who will try to screw you with the
shittiest contracts. They know that you are euphoric to get a first record deal at all, plus you are inexperienced and that’s what they make use of. Later on when you finally get to know professional and successful people you will regret what you signed in the early days. So my advice is to read your first contracts extremely carefully before signing, try to get some help from a producer with more experience and possibly get a specialized lawyer to check the contract. You better pay a few hundred bucks once for a lawyer instead of the horror numbers you might have to face later when you realize how a shitty contract screwed you.


Editors note: Thank you so much Deniz for sparing some of your time to share your thoughts with us, you have provided a very interesting insight into your world. I am very excited about your new collab with FLG and any future projects you have instore for us. Best of luck to you in all that you do.






Check out Deniz' remix of Feddes 'So much love'.....




**OUT NOW!!!! http://itunes.apple.com/nl/album/so-much-love-special-version/id497990710

***Special thanks to Kai & Thomas @ Sushi 3000


https://www.facebook.com/DenizKoyuOfficial
http://www.youtube.com/artist/Deniz_Koyu
https://twitter.com/denizkoyu
http://www.myspace.com/denizkoyu/music
http://soundcloud.com/denizkoyu
http://sushi3000.com/denizkoyu



                                                          ☆☆ レo√乇♥ Peace☮ & Harmony♬ ☆☆ 



No comments:

Post a Comment