Thursday 7 April 2011

Exclusive interview with Patric La Funk

Patric La Funk is a house DJ/producer from Bochum, Germany. His passion for the decks began with a residency in his home town, but his international journey soon progressed from there.
Remixing tracks of fellow deejays Axwell, Steve Angello, Mark Knight & Fedde Le Grand, as well as producing his own material, Patric has made a respected name for himself. He also co produces tracks with his studio partner Timo Becker.
His collaboration with Fedde : Autosave, released on the 14th February 2011 (previously known as Valentine's day) took the Beatport charts by storm, and the fans ( me included) have officially renamed the day 'Autosave day'.
Here I ask Patric about his musical influences, his fans & what we can expect next from him:

  • Firstly I just want to congratulate you Patric on the amazing success of Autosave, your collaboration with Fedde Le Grand. No1 in the Beatport charts after 6 days! 25k YT viewers in 24hrs! 565k to this day! How does it feel to have your work celebrated & respected in such a massive way? And can we expect more of the magic from you & Fedde in the near future?
PLF: First of all thanks a lot. Indeed this record brought me back on the map of electronic music after a year of "quietness" and finding my new sound. I am really thankful that Fedde is supporting me that much. Two years ago we did an album track together for his longplayer "Output" called "Noise Reduction". This was the first collaboration of both of us together. So it felt really good to do something with him together again. I guess neither Fedde nor me would have expected such an huge impact of "Autosave". The youtube clip (by Final Kid) got so much attention. We were surprised cause we just wanted to have a short teaser clip for our collaboration and didn't expect so many clicks and such a big interest in such a short range of time. There was of course no "storyboard". It was supposed to show the production process of this or dance records in general. And as you can see its not that glamorous or wild.
Fedde and me are planning to go to the studio very soon to do a follow up track for Autosave. Something for the summer. A vocal version of Autosave will be out very soon too.
  •  Your tour diary for the next few weeks is gigs in your native country, Germany. How much do you love to play to your German fans & is it always more special to play to them compared to the rest of the world?
PLF: Yes that's true. Basically I have a residency in one club in Germany every year. Last year I played Cocoon Club in Frankfurt once a month and this year it's 3001 in Düsseldorf. Besides presenting guest DJs like Fedde Le Grand, Axwell, Sebastian Ingrosso or Martin Solveig I am headlining my own night once a month there.
It is of course different in my home country, because people here in Germany know me much longer than in foreign countries. It is sometimes harder to attract them to come to the club, but in general it makes no difference where you play in the world. As soon as people love electronic music like I do, we can have a great party night together.
  • I see that you are very interactive with your fans on social network sites such as Twitter & Facebook. How important are these sites to you as a way of reaching your fans? 
PLF: Yes, thats very important to me. It's always so good to receive feedback off people and DJs who support and play your music. And I think there is no better way nowadays. If you post anything you will receive comments, tweets or likes so you can see a tendency right away. I like this!
  • Who has been the biggest musical influence to you through your life & can you credit them for your style as a deejay today?
PLF: Always a hard question, because I think you are influenced every time you listen to music in general. Doesn't matter what genre. If you are an artist and a producer you always listen to music in a different way in my opinion, so I can't really say that there is a specific artist that influenced me the most. But at the moment I can say the mixture of trancy melodies and house / progressive beats really influences me. That's what I like and what I play most currently. Further it's great to work on collaborations with other artists in the studio. It's always interesting to see how others work, so you can take something and give something back. I really like to work that way.

  • What can we expect next from the Patric La Funk sound?
PLF: Like I mentioned before my sound is a mixture between house and trance and progressive at the moment. Check my preview of my new track "Blizzard" with Inpetto. I think that's a perfect example for what I am talking about: www.soundcloud.com/patriclafunk
Further my next solo single is done called "Baltic", and more collaborations with Dave Spoon, Kim Fai, Sultan & Ned Shepard and Fedde of course are in the pipeline.
  • And lastly could you give one piece of advice that may help someone who wanted to start out in DJing?
PLF: I think the only advice I can give is to make and play the music you are happy with. Not to try to be anyone else. Believe in what you are doing! Might sound ordinary, but I think these are the things that really matter the most.


Editors note: Thank you so much to Patric for taking time to answers these questions, some really great answers there! We wish you all the luck with your new track Blizzard, & all future projects. 


And here is that infamous video made by Final kid:-






☆☆ レo√乇♥ Peace☮ & Harmony♬ ☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment